- 2018 November 15 - I will be presenting on "A High-Resolution Future Wave Climate Projection for the Coastal Northwestern Atlantic" at the JSCE 65th Coastal Engineering Lectures (Tottori, Japan).
- 2018 November 14 - "Impact of the four-wave quasi-resonance to freak wave shapes in the ocean" has been published online in Ocean Dynamics.
I am interested in modeling geophysical flow for a wide range of scales using the latest advances in mathematical and numerical analysis.
Waves, Storm Surges, and Climate
Wave Energy Resources / Waves and Sea-Ice
While at The University of Tokyo, I worked with Takuji Waseda on a NEDO project to estimate the available wave energy resources for Japan to assist with wave generator site identification and construction. The completed assessment can be accessed here and is based on a 21-year, high-resolution NOAA WAVEWATCH III simulation. I also worked on an Arctic Challenge for Sustainability (ArCS) project to forecast the wave field for the rapidly changing Arctic climate.
Internal Tidal Waves
While at the Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, I worked with Hidekatsu Yamazaki to model the generation and dissipation of nonlinear internal tidal waves in a ria estuary using the 3D nonhydrostatic coastal model SUNTANS. This work was part of a larger project to study the impact of the 2011 Tohoku earthquake and tsunami on the ecosystem of Otsuchi Bay, Japan.
For part of my thesis, I worked with Baylor Fox-Kemper to derive a new set of approximations for Stokes drift and optimize an ocean surface wave model component for coupling with the NCAR Community Earth System Model (using NOAA WaveWatch III).
Meshless Spectral Wave Modeling
In addition, I worked with Natasha Flyer to develop a fast meshless wave model specifically designed for coupling with global climate models. Results from the prototype can be found in my dissertation.
- Stokes drift functions for different depth-dependent and depth-integrated approximations can be found here and on the MATLAB Central File Exchange. The functions use either 1D or 2D wave spectra and can handle an arbitrary number of spatial and temporal dimensions. A detailed description of the different approximations can be found in this publication (and respective preprint).
- Journal Publications
- 2018 "Impact of the four-wave quasi-resonance to freak wave shapes in the ocean."
- W. Fujimoto, T. Waseda, and A. Webb; Ocean Dynamics, (2018):1-21. [http]
- 2018 "Development of waves under explosive cyclones in the Northwestern Pacific."
- Y. Kita, T. Waseda, and A. Webb; Ocean Dynamics, (2018):1-16. [http]
- 2018 "Predictability of storm wave heights in the ice-free Beaufort Sea."
- T. Nose, A. Webb, and T. Waseda; Ocean Dynamics, (2018):1-20. [bib] [http]
- 2018 "Correlated Increase of High Ocean Waves and Winds in the Ice-Free Waters of the Arctic Ocean."
- T. Waseda, A. Webb, K. Sato, J. Inoue, A. Kohout, B. Penrose, and S. Penrose; Scientific Reports, 8(4489):1-9. [bib] [http]
- 2017 "A three-dimensional numerical study of river plume mixing processes in Otsuchi Bay, Japan."
- K. Sasmal, E. Masunaga, A. Webb, O. Fringer, E. Gross, M. Rayson, and H. Yamazaki; Journal of Oceanography, 74(2):169-186. [bib] [http]
- 2017 "Statistical Models of Global Langmuir Mixing."
- Q. Li, B. Fox-Kemper, Ø. Breivik, and A. Webb; Ocean Modeling, 113:95-114. [bib] [http]
- 2016 "Marine energy resource assessment at reconnaissance to feasibility study stages; wave power, ocean and tidal current power, and ocean thermal power" (in Japanese).
- T. Waseda, A. Webb, K. Kiyomatsu, W. Fujimoto, Y. Miyazawa, S. Varlamov, K. Horiuchi, T. Fujiwara, T. Taniguchi, K. Matsuda, and J. Yoshikawa; Journal of the Japan Society of Naval Architects and Ocean Engineers, 23:189-198. [bib] [http]
- 2015 "Symmetric and Geostrophic Instabilities in the Wave-Forced Ocean Mixed Layer."
- S. Haney, B. Fox-Kemper, K. Julien, and A. Webb; Journal of Physical Oceanography, 45(12):3033-3056. [bib] [http]
- 2015 "Langmuir mixing effects on global climate: WAVEWATCH III in CESM."
- Q. Li, A. Webb, B. Fox-Kemper, A. Craig, G. Danabasoglu, W.G. Large, and M. Vertenstein; Ocean Modeling, 103:145-160. [bib] [http]
- 2015 "Impacts of wave spreading and multidirectional waves on estimating Stokes drift."
- A. Webb and B. Fox-Kemper; Ocean Modeling, 96:49-64. [bib] [http]
- 2011 "Wave spectral moments and Stokes drift estimation."
- A. Webb and B. Fox-Kemper; Ocean Modelling 40(3):273-288. [bib] [http]
- Refereed Conference Proceedings
- 2018 "A High-Resolution Future Wave Climate Projection for the Coastal Northwestern Atlantic."
- A. Webb, T. Shimura, and N. Mori; The 65th Coastal Engineering Lectures, 74(2). [http]
- 2018 "Comparison of long-term trends of the largest waves in the ice-free Arctic waters from different reanalysis products."
- T. Waseda, T. Nose, and A. Webb; ASME 2018 37th International Conference on Ocean, Offshore and Arctic Engineering, Vol. 3: Structures, Safety, and Reliability. [html]
- 2017 "Arctic Wave Observation by Drifting Type Wave Buoys in 2016."
- T. Waseda, A. Webb, K. Sato, J. Inoue, A. Kohout, B. Penrose, and S. Penrose; The 27th International Ocean and Polar Engineering Conference, International Society of Offshore and Polar Engineers. [html]
- 2016 "A High-Resolution, Wave and Current Resource Assessment of Japan: the Web GIS Dataset."
- A. Webb, T. Waseda, W. Fujimoto, K. Horiuchi, K. Kiyomatsu, K. Matsuda, Y. Miyazawa, S. Varlamov, and J. Yoshikawa; Proceedings of the 3rd Asian Wave and Tidal Energy Conference. [bib] [pdf]
- Other Writings
- 2018 "Report of the 2018 Meeting for the WCRP-JCOMM Coordinated Ocean Wave Climate Project (COWCLIP), Paris, 21-23 May, 2018."
- M. Hemer, X.L. Wang, and A. Webb; JCOMM Technical Report 92. [html]
- 2017 "WAVEWATCH III in CESM and Langmuir mixing."
- Q. Li, B. Fox-Kemper, and A. Webb; POP2 Reference Manual Addendum, LANL Tech Note LAUR- 10-018253, in press. [pdf]
- 2013 "Stokes Drift and Meshless Wave Modeling."
- A. Webb; PhD thesis, University of Colorado Boulder. [bib] [pdf]
- In Preparation or Review
- 2018 "Robustness and uncertainties in global multivariate wind-wave climate projections."
- J. Morim, M. Hemer, X.L. Wang, N. Cartwright, C. Trenham, A. Semedo, L. Bricheno, P. Camus, M. Casas-Prat, L. Erikson, L. Mentaschi, N. Mori, T. Shimura, B. Timmerman, O. Aarnes, Ø. Breivik, A. Behrens, M. Dobrynin, M. Menendez, J. Staneva, M. Wehner, J. Wolf, B. Kamranzad, J. Stopa, A. Webb, I. Young, and F. Andutta; Nature Climate Change, submitted.
- 2018 "RBF-FD method for a multiple scale system: global ocean surface waves."
- A. Webb, N. Flyer, and B. Fox-Kemper; in preparation for submission.
- 2018 "A high-resolution, long-term wave resource assessment of Japan with wave-current effects."
- A. Webb, T. Waseda, and K. Kiyomatsu; in preparation for submission.
I am currently not doing any teaching at this time. Previous university courses and programs are listed below.
- National Center for Atmospheric Research
- 2010 Summer, IMAGe Summer Graduate School on Mathematics of Climate Change (TA)
- University of Colorado Boulder
- 2013 Spring, Calculus II (TA)
- 2008 Fall, Calculus II Workgroup (Instructor) / Calculus II (TA)
- 2008 Summer, Calculus II (TA)
- 2008 Spring, Ordinary Differential Equations (TA)
- 2007 Fall, Calculus III (TA)
- University of New Hampshire
- 2007 Summer, Calculus II (Instructor)
- 2007 Spring, Calculus II (TA)
- 2006 Fall, Calculus I (TA)
- 2006 Summer, Pre-Calculus: Online Course (Instructor)
- 2006 Spring, Pre-Calculus (Instructor)
- 2005 Fall, Finite Mathematics (TA)
Disaster Prevention Research Institute
Maritime Disaster Section
Gokasho, Uji, Kyoto 611-0011, Japan